Saturday, January 21, 2012

Melting Rainbows

This morning I decided we were going to try the project I found on Julie-K's blog. It was time to cull out the busted crayons anyway! (We only found about 10 in the entire bin that weren't already broken!)

Now I had done crazy crayons before, but only in muffin tins in the oven, and they were cute, but not too practical. This way looked much easier!



I happen to have some of those cheap ice trays that make the sticks that can go in water bottles. Those would be perfect for crayons.

The kidlets thought I was completely mental when I told them to come and help peel and break crayons into ice trays! We filled up several trays with broken crayon bits...some a motley of colors, some of similar hues.

 We popped them in the microwave, one minute on, one off, until they began to melt, then one minute on, two off, so that the ice trays didn't get too hot...a good precaution, as it turned out, as a couple of them started to warp a bit! Next time I'm going to look for silicone candy molds! Once the wax was completely melted, I very very carefully stuck them in the refrigerator to cool for about 20 minutes.

Once they were completely cool we gently popped out our new awesome CRAZY crayons.



No comments:

Post a Comment